Costa Rica Here I Come!

Friday, September 15, 2006

12 hours and counting

I feel like I used to the day before the big test - cramming to get it all in my brain. Instead, I'm cramming to get it all in my suitcase! This is probably the least ready I have ever been for a trip. I'm on my way to volunteer for 2 weeks in Costa Rica with Global Volunteers (www.globalvolunteers.com) I'm just starting to get excited. It will be a complete unknown. I will not know anyone there, I've never been to Costa Rica and I've again delayed in learning Spanish so I see a language barrier in my near future!

I have so much medicine, first aid stuff and antibiotic soap and insect repellant in my luggage I have little room for clothes. If anyone searched my bag they would think I was the biggest hypochondriac since Eve on Northern Exposure (I love that old show)
Global Volunteers sent lots of reading and preparation information and I've dutifully printed it all out, put it in a file folder (labeled neatly), and carried it with me, unopened for the past month. Last night I finally started reading it and now I know I have some interesting things to collect for tomorrow such as:
1. 2 pictures of me (not easy to find since I mostly destroy those that I find)
2. 2 copies of my passport (luckily I have a copy machine - done!)
3. Photos of my family to share (I wonder if old photos will count?) I do have a few photos of my daughter and son-in-law and one on my son and daughter-in-law, so I guess I'm clear on that.
4. Thought for the day (oy vey, I don't know what I'm going to come up with but I'm sure it won't be up to par with those volunteers who planned in advance) I don't think my comedy will work here.
5. A notebook or journal to record the day-to-day adventures. Each of us has to record the experiences of 1-2 days on the trip and then read them to the group the next morning. I'm a bit nervous about this but hopefully I won't be first.
6. Toy/s that we can play with with the children while we are there and then leave with the host when we leave. I came home at midnight last night from a business trip and passed a 24 hour Wal-mart. Believe it or not, they had NO frisbees! They said they are out of season. I had to pick up a small football. I hope they know what that is.
7, Daypack and water bottle - of course empty since we can't have liquids on the plane. I know I have a water bottle around here somewhere. . . .
And the list goes on and on -

They said to not bring anything expensive because it could be stolen so I am leaving my digital camera at home and purchased 4 disposable cameras. It will be a miracle if all 4 cameras get back home with me. I am also bringing clothes that anyone can take if they want. We are supposed to be working on a cemetery wall, painting, gardening and cleaning so I'm dressing for work. I'm actually very excited to do some physical labor - I need the exercise!

I plan to update by blog regularly in Costa Rica since they say there are some internet cafes in the area so tune in every so often over the next 2 weeks - I'm sure there will be many adventures to describe.

S-

1 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Maybe we can ship some of the toys in your storage area to them. They get virtually new (though somewhat weather-beaten) goodies and we get a tax write-off (and less clutter). Everyone's happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home