Costa Rica Here I Come!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Day 2

Well, it´s only about 8:18 pm - one hour different from Central time since they don´t go on daylight savings time here. It feels much later. Seven people from ¨the Office¨ came on this trip and it´s so nice to meet and talk to them. They are all so nice - and fun. We got up at about 7 am and went to breakfast. We had fresh fruit, fresh juice, rice and beans (the staple) and eggs. I decided to try the local favorites and had banana leaf wrapped tamales. At first they were a bit strange tasting because of the banana but of course I ate them!
I can´t remember if I mentioned the interesting part of last night´s dinner. I had a skewer of something that looked like either prunes or liver - after tasting it, I still don´t know what it was.
So, we had our team orientation this morning for a few hours and then left for the worksite near Monteverde. It took us about 4 hours to get there because 1/2 of the way was on very rough unpaved road. I don´t know how anyone gets here. I´ll talk more about this town later. Tonight we went to the worksite where most of the town was waiting to meet us at the community center that Global Volunteers helped to build. They gave us a snack and then we talked about our skills for helping with the projects tomorrow. I told them I can mix cement, lay cement blocks, paint and do some carpentry. I had to admit, they were a bit impressed by this little middle aged lady. Of course the proof is in the pudding as they say, so we´ll see what they think after tomorrow. I am an ïsh¨kinda person.
Someone else needs to use the computer so I´ll close. Hopefully I will have time and energy tomorrow to give more details. So far, I´m very glad I came.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home