Costa Rica Here I Come!

Monday, September 18, 2006

Day 3 Costa Rica

OK, here is the way the day has gone.
5:30 am - alarm goes off (too early!)
6:00 am - breakfast (actually it was ready closer to 6:20)
Great breakfast - the coffee is wonderful, more fresh fruit, healthy toast, scrambled eggs and R & B (rice and beans)
7 am - go to bus stop and wait for 7 am bus until about 7:35.
8 am - arrive at Los Tornos community center - luckily 2 people from our group saw the center pass us by and yelled for the bus to stop.
8 am - short spanish lesson with Mary
8:30 - team meeting about the projects for the day. We will be getting the cemetery site ready for the cement wall.
9 am - walk to cemetery - all down hill about a half mile
9:15 start work - I shoveled dirt and gravel, pushed wheelbarrows up the small hill into the cemetery, carried cement blocks and dug though piles of dirt to find sod that we will be using to plant at the school.
10:39 am - they said we had a coffee and cookie break at the community center (stright up hill that half mile again) Half of the group decided it wasn´t worth it and stayed on the site. The other half (including me thought - coffee and cookies??) Luckily one of the lead workers house was about a third of the way up the hill so we ended up stopping there - thank goodness.
Back to the cemetery in the rain and continuing to work and try to wait out the heavy rain. Way to late for me because I was drenched.
Noon we walked back to the activity center. Luckily I didn´t have to talk much because I couldn´t breath, talk and walk. I am out of shape.
Great lunch - fruit, b&r, chicken and salad. So much for staying away from ice, salad and drinks with water. We´ll see how that goes. So far I´m healthy.
Then it was back to the cemetery but it was raining to hard to work so we sat around talking until the 2:30 bus came about 3:15.
On to the shower, blog and waiting for out team meeting at 5 pm with dinner at 6. I am pretty sure one of the things on the menu will be b&r!
As to the location - it is so beautiful - green lush mountain views, walks past coffee farms, lots of fruit trees - but no wildlife to be seen yet.
I do like that they use the same electricity here as we do in teh USA. I could have brought my camera and battery charger but no - I still have my 4 disposable cameras.
I´ve taken up enough time on the computer - more tomorrow
S-

1 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Wow. You are going to come home sore, disciplined, speaking better Spanish and toned. It's going to be worth every penny it's costing you. Brilliant. It sounds really fun, albeit trying. I'm so proud of you and I wish I could be there to enjoy it with you. I missed tivo'ing the first episode of The Amazing Race for you last night, but I'll get the next episode and whatever else I think you'll want to catch up on when you get back. If you still watch television by then, that is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home