Costa Rica Here I Come!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Day 4 - I think

Time is starting to have no meaning - except for the 5:30 am alarm. I really went on vacation to get up this early?
Same routine today - breakfast of fresh fruit and pancakes with wonderful coffee. I´m getting spoiled on this coffee. Then off to the worksite. It rained all night last night and the electricity went off for about 30 min so the roads are more potholed than ever. All I can say is a double sports bra is needed on these roads! When we arrived at the site we had our short spanish lesson and then walked down that very steep hill to the cemetery. On the way, one of the workers took us in to a coffee farm and showed us the red coffee beans that were almost ready to pick. We tried tasting one and it was a bit gel-like around the bean but not much flavor. I guess that comes with the roasting.
My jobs today included cuting and making rebar into a bridge like shape to help set the cement blocks. Then I went on to painting the chapel in the cemetery that another Global group erected. After a really good lunch (am I talking about food alot?) of asparagus omelet, fruit, R&B, and macaroni salad, it started raining again. Sue and I walked down the hill back to the site because we had left some clothes on the sidewalk and didn´t want them to get wet - like the rest of our clothes are now getting. Luckily, the local workers picked them up and put them back in the chapel for us. We sat with all of the workers in the rain and we could not communicate much at all. I really wish I had practiced my spanish more.
Finally we got back to work for about 45 min before the taxi that we hired picked us up to take us shopping. Shopping consisted on a long ride to a small village to see the last project of the Global folks. It is called Casem Womens Co-op and is a place for local women to meet and do crafts and sell them. They can do crafts at home if they have children so they can bring in income as a stay at home mom. Great concept and addition to the community. We also went to a coffee co-op where the farmers get more of the profit from selling their coffee. Lastly we went to a cheese and ice cream store and I had wonderful coffee icecream.
Interesting info about T P (toilet paper). It smells like baby powder. I think that is either to make us smell better or more importantly make the trash smell better since no TP goes in the toilet due to septic problems everywhere.
We are getting ready to eat our light dinner of pizza.
And of course, it is raining again.
S-

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

So, are you going to come home super-skinny or as big as a house? Pizza? Ice Cream? Macaroni Salad? You're living the good life, woman!

It really sounds awesome. You're making me want to dig in and do physical labor. It's a lot more fun when you have someone working on a project with you, though. Working for the common good! I'm proud of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home