Costa Rica Here I Come!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Day 5 - I think

OK, I admit it - I´m dragging. Not being a morning person and doing physical labor is catching up with me. Not that I don´t like it. I´m sure I´ll be physically fit by the end of next week - but now - Oy vey!
I shoveled gravel and sand to make cement today and then filling blocks with the cement. The guys are so hard working and just seem to go on and on. I didn´t want to do the sissy work of scraping off the rust from some metal poles so I´m paying for it now. Luckily it started raining before lunch so I really only worked about 2 hours. We had another great lunch (I don´t want to bore you with that again) and then went to a small coffee co-op where they showed us how the coffee was made from the picking to the roasting. I was thinking that I wouldn´t mind picking coffee for a couple of hours - if I got a cup or two afterwards. The coffee pickers only make abour $5-$8 a day - hard to believe. But Gina, our local country coordinator just bought a large bag of orages for about 2 cents each.
We got back on that crazy bus and came back to our hotel about 3 pm. Some people went horse back riding - in the rain and the rest of us walked into town (up and down mountain remember) and did some shopping and had a couple brews. I´m now waiting for dinner ´- always thinking of food.
Tomorrow after we work, most of us are doing that Sky Trek where we are attached to wires and fly through the forest. I am a bit frightened since I am afraid of heights, but the group egged me on so I´m there. I hope to be around to write about it tomorrow or the next day. Really, I´m sure I will. The worst part will be the spiral staircase and bridge that gets us there. Yep, I think that is going to be a challenge.

I don´t think I mentioned that last night we went to the previous work project called Casem - now that I think about it maybe I did. Anyway, it was really uplifting since so many womens lives have changed because of it. Not only are they making crafts but they are getting together and finding out that many have been abused and those have gotten help.
Enough for now.
I do have to say again that this is a wonderful trip and I would recommend this group to you for future work-vacation plans (can we actually say work and vacation in the same sentence and get excited?)
More later
S-

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Cannot wait to hear about the zip cord experience!! I think you're right--the climbing part is the scariest. If you can do this, though, you're a shoe-in for next season of The Amazing Race.

By the way, all your rice and beans references inspired me to make it for dinner tonight. I think it is probably tastier in Costa Rica.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home