Costa Rica Here I Come!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday - our last day of rest

It´s 9;42 am Sunday morning (thanks to my atomic watch) and I´m walking around the town enjoying the music coming from the churches. I stopped at one church with particularly interesting music - much of it seems to be modern and the singer has a drummer and then a karoke-type machine that makes the rest of the instruments. People were clapping after each song and swaying to the music. I stood outside looking in when a man at the door came over to introduce himself. He said that it was a Methodist church - very surprising to me. Costa Rica was pretty much founded by the Quakers and then there is also a large Catholic influence. To me, the music is the international voice of people and no matter where you are music brings out the feelings of unity - that the people of the world really aren´t very different.
OK, enough of my Sunday morning spiritualism -

The 2 people who Canyoneered yesterday came back and said it was the most difficult and scary thing they have ever done. One would need to be exceptionally physically fit to do it - so I´m glad I didn´t even consider it. Unfortunately since they were mostly in waist deep water or flailing themselves over the sides of mountains, they couldn´t bring their cameras. I would have loved to have seen that.

We were going to go to the hot springs last night but it seems a bit crazy since we were all very hot in the open air. It is hot and very muggy here. I have sweat dripping off of my face most of the time. I found a fan that I am now carrying everywhere I go. We ate at an open air restaurant near our hotel - most of the restaurants have open air areas and none have electric fans. I am really enjoying the Costa Rican food - mostly rice, beans, chopped veggies (I´m not sure what they are) and some kind of salad. There are so many veggies and fruits here that I have never seen before - I finally had a margarita and the fruit they had on the side of the glass wasn´t a lemon or a lime - it was very tart and tasty but I have no idea what it is called. The only thing I have not eaten so far were the red beans - kidney beans to me - not my favorite.

Three in our group went white water rafting today and the rest of us are shopping, reading and touring the town. We leave a 4 pm to go back to Monteverde and another week of 5;30 am wake-ups. I´m ready for everything except that walk up the hill. I´ll try to take a picture to share on this blog when I get home, so you can see that I´m not a total sissy ;) By the way, in case you haven´t noticed, I can´t find some of the symbols on the keyboard so I do with what I find.
S-

1 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

You are going to come home a vegetarian. We're going to be able to cook and eat together. Yay! I'll even get you to try kidney beans. I make a mean chili with chocolate in it. You won't even notice the "red" beans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home