Costa Rica Here I Come!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A day of sun

The weather has changed for the better - we had a bright sunny day for working. In fact it hasn´t rained much for the last couple of days. Of course after working in sod (I´m helping to put sod in the school yard - the same sod we dug up from the cemetery) by lunchtime some of us were hoping for that afternoon rain. It didn´t come so more sod until we took our trusty bus back to Santa Elena for an early evening of horse back riding.

I don´t remember the last time I was on a horse and it showed. I was riding Superman and I was really hoping he wouldn´t fly - that he would be back in his Clark Kent persona and he met my expectations. The rest of the group had various levels of experience and were loving the galloping and running. I was hanging on for dear life - the only thing that really hurts this morning is my left hand so you can imagine how hard I was holding on. My butt isn´t sore but I´ve had many days of bouncing on a bus to help toughen that up. The rest of the wild west riders did a number of runs around a field, exhileration showing in their faces while I sat still on Superman, very content. When I had the chance to look up from my horses head (I wasn´t sure what to do when he kept putting his head down and then looking around at my feet), the scenery was beautiful.
When we got back to our hotel room, my room mate Christine was napping. I sat on my single bed and out from under her bed came a scorpion - big and black - bigger than Texas scorpions. Now I can kill small bugs but when it gets close to the size of my shoe, it gets to live. I got this one on a newspaper and just as it´s tail went up and it started towards me, I threw it out the door. I will be a bit cautious with my clothes on the floor for the rest of the trip since I noticed the big gap under our door.
The good news is that we had our favorite meal tonight at the hotel - pizza and guacamole - and a home made donut. Yep, dieting isn´t on the agenda this trip.
Today after work we are going to our leader Gina´s house to eat and see her great view. We are winding down and it´s a bit hard to think that this trip will soon be coming to an end.
But I still have the Zip line on Friday so stay tuned.
S

1 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Pizza, guacamole and a donut? You can never make fun of my Bac'n Bits and a Hershey Bar dinner again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home