Costa Rica Here I Come!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Wed - Sod and Sun

Wednesday was bright and sunny - another rare day this time of year here. Although some rain would have been helpful after lunch, none came. It did cloud over a bit just to give us false hope, I think. I did sod and digging again today. The good part was that I didn´t have to walk up and down the hill to the cemetery. The school is right next to the community center where we meet each morning. We were all getting bit by who knows what today. After work, some people went on a night walk and the rest of us went into town to get some gifts for the bus driver (who hasn´t been charging us to ride everyday - it´s his bus) and the man who gave us the tour of the coffee farm and plant. We also got a new soccer ball for the community center. Thursday night is the community celebration for us.
Wed night we went to our team leader Gina´s house. It´s really far on a road that most taxis will not go down so we had to walk part of the way. Gina lives in a really cool house owned by a woman who retired from Berkley (sp?) when she turned 50 to raise her two sons here. She came to the dinner so I grilled her on why she choose Costa Rica and what is was like living there. She is a permanent resident and has been here for 6 years. She said that she only needed to prove she had a lifetime income of $600 a month to be here - even with 2 children! She said she knows people who do live on that amount. I plan to keep writing to her when I get back.
I think many of us are ready to end the labor part of our work here - none of us work with our hands for a living so it´s been hard - good and fullfilling but hard. I am sleeping better most nights and we all talk about having lots of dreams - not sure what that means.
Interesting tidbits -

I saw an HEB truck tractor here.

Most people have dogs but I hear there are cats - they just stay hidden because the dogs all run loose. I have not seen one dog on a leash since I´ve been here

Today is our last workday and it´s almost breakfast so I´ll close for now. Tomorrow is finally the Zip Line - I hope to be less sore by then!
Happy Birthday Shannon!!
S-

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Zip line on my birthday?! Don't get injured on my special day. That'd be so rude to steal my thunder. Ha. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home